PrestaShop catalog price rules are used to add price reductions by category, brand, supplier, attribute or feature of products in your catalog. As the name indicates this type of rule is applied on a range of products, it cannot be used on a single product.
If you want to apply discount to a single product, you must create a cart rule or create a specific price in the “Pricing” tab of the product’s page in PrestaShop admin. For more information on how to create cart rule check our tutorial Managing Cart Rules in PrestaShop.
Also to learn how to create a specific price for a product, check our tutorial Managing Products in PrestaShop 1.7.
Add Catalog Price Rules
To create a new catalog price rule, navigate to Catalog->Discounts in PrestaShop admin panel and go to the tab Catalog Price Rules and on the page that opens click on the button Add new catalog price rule on the top right of the page.
This will open the page with a form for adding catalog price rules. There are some basic settings for the catalog price rules on the top block. under that block there’s a button Add a new condition group, clicking it will display options where we can add conditions for the catalog price rules.
If you can add a catalog price rule without any conditions then it will be applied to all products.
General Options of a Catalog Price Rule
After you navigate to Catalog->Discounts in PrestaShop admin panel and go to the tab Catalog Price Rules and you open the form for adding/editing catalog price rules you’ll see displayed the general options of the rule:
The options are as follows:
- Name – this is the name of the catalog price rule. You can enter any name here.
- Currency – You can select the currency of your shop to which the discounts will be applied. If selected, the discount will be applicable to the selected currency only. By default, the option is set to All Currencies, so if you don’t change this option, discount will be applicable to all the currencies on the frontend.
- Country – using this option you can restrict the countries for which the catalog price rule will be active. By default, this option is set to All Countries so the rule will be applied to all countries. If you want the rule to apply for a single country, select that country from the drop-down menu.
The country of the customer’s delivery address is used to determine the rule condition for the country restriction.
- Group – You can use this option to limit the customer group to which the catalog price rule will apply. The price rule will only be applied to the default group of customer. For example a customer may belong to more than one group, but one group is their default group. To learn how to manage customers, check our tutorial Managing Customers in PrestaShop.
- From quantity – this option lets you enter the minimum quantity for which the catalog price rule becomes active. Foe example, if you set it to 2, then the customer has to order minimum 2 quantity of the product to avail this catalog price rule. What’s counted as quantity is the number same products ordered not the number of different products.
- Price (tax excl.) – this option lets you change the price of all the products that meets the conditions of catalog price rules. To do this, you need to uncheck the option Leave initial price and type a new price in this field. For example, if you set it to 100 then price of all the products that meets the condition of catalog price rule will be set to 100. So you must be careful with this option.If you don’t want to change the price, simply don’t fill this field.
- From – here you can set the date and time from when this catalog price rule is active. If you don’t fill it the catalog rule will be active the moment you create it.
- To – here you can set the date and time to which the catalog price rule is active. If you don’t fill it the catalog rule will be active until you delete it.
- Reduction type – here from the drop-down you can set it reduction type will be fixed amount or amount of percentage deducted from the cart.
- Reduction with or without taxes – here you can specify if the amount is tax included or tax excluded. If you select Tax excluded, the discount amount will not be taxed else the discount amount will be taxed.
- Reduction – here you can enter the actual reduction amount either fixed amount or percentage based on the Reduction Type selected.
After you have entered all the information you can set some conditions for the catalog price rule by clicking Add a new condition group button. If you don’t want to set any condition i.e you want to apply rule to all products, click on Save button to save the rule.
Add Conditions to a Catalog Price Rule
You can add some conditions to the catalog rule you have created in you PrestaShop store. These conditions can be based on category, brands, suppliers, features, attributes etc. If you don’t add any conditions then catalog price rules will be applied to all products s in your PrestaShop store.
To add conditions to a PrestaShop catalog price rules, click on Add a new condition group button below the general options while adding or editing a catalog rule.
When you do this an empty table will appear and several conditions will be available to set via drop-downs:
Using the drop-down you can select the conditions and add it to catalog price rule by clicking the Add condition button that’s next to it. All the conditions that will be added to the table will form one condition group.
The available conditions are as follows:
- Category – you can select the category of the product from the drop-down. If you select a category from the drop-down then the rule will be applied to the product from the particular category only. You can learn about adding category in our tutorial Managing Categories in PrestaShop 1.7.
- Brand – you can select the brand of the product from the drop-down. Then the discount will be applied to those products which are associated with that particular brand only. A product in PrestaShop can be added without being associated with a brand also, so you must keep in mind that discount you want for the product should be associated with the particular brand. You can learn about adding brand in our tutorial Managing Brands in PrestaShop.
- Supplier -here you can add the supplier as a condition from the drop-down. Then the discount will be applied to the products associated with the particular supplier only. you can learn about adding suppliers to a product in our tutorial Managing Suppliers in PrestaShop.
- Attributes -this field consists of two drop-downs. First one is for the selection of attributes and second one is to select the value for the attributes selected. For example, you can select the attributes as Color and value as Grey, Pink or Orange etc. When you add the condition by clicking Add condition button, the value will be added to the condition group. This means the catalog price rule will be available for the products only for the products associated with particular attribute value.
As attributes are used to create product combination in PrestaShop. The discount will be applicable to the product combination with with selected attribute value. For example, Grey value is added with color attribute then all product combination with color grey will offer discount. To learn how to manage attributes in PrestaShop check our tutorial Managing Product Attributes and Features. Also to learn how to create product combination check our tutorial Managing Product Combinations in PrestaShop.
- Features – this field also consists of two drop-down. First one is for the selection of features and second one is to select the value for the features selected. For example, you can select compositions as features and value as cotton, ceramic etc. When you add the condition by clicking Add condition button, the value will be added to the condition group. This means the catalog price rule will be available for the products only for the products associated with particular feature value.
In PrestaShop features are used to compare products. To learn how to manage features in PrestaShop check our tutorial Managing Product Attributes and Features.
After you add some conditions to the catalog price rules it will be added to the table above the option as group. You can add as many conditions you want to a group. To delete a condition from a group just click on Delete button for the particular condition.
If there’s more than one condition in a group, then the discount will be applied to only those products who fulfills all the conditions of the rule. You can even add more than one condition group to a PrestaShop catalog price rule by clicking on the button Add a new condition group again. This will add a new table and you can add the conditions from the drop-downs to that table. If you want to add more conditions to an existing group, then click on the table of that group and add condition from drop-downs below.
If the PrestaShop catalog price rule has more than one condition group then discount will be applied to those products that meet all the conditions from any of the groups. Foe example, if we have two condition group, one has two conditions, first one is category Women and color Grey and second one is category Home Accessories. So the discount will be applied to a product if it belongs to category Women and has Grey color or if it belongs to category Home Accessories.
After you have set all the conditions click Save button to save the PrestaShop catalog price rule.
Manage Existing Catalog Price Rules
To manage the catalog price rules that have already been added, navigate to Catalog->Discounts in PrestaShop admin panel and go to the tab Catalog Price Rules in the PrestaShop admin panel. This will open a page with a table of all existing catalog price rules. To edit a PrestaShop catalog rule, click on Edit button for that particular price rule.
To delete a catalog rule, in the list of the catalog rules click on the arrow that’s next to the Edit button for the particular rule and from the drop-down menu select Delete:
To delete multiple catalog price rule at the same time, use Bulk actions drop-down menu that’s below the list of car rules. select all the catalog price rule from the list by ticking the check box for each one and, then select the action from the drop-down menu.
Catalog Price Rules on the Frontend
The products on the PrestaShop frontend that meet the conditions of a catalog price rule are explicitly marked, i.e that the original and discounted prices are shown to indicate the discount on those products. Also discount percentage is shown on the product along with new and old price.
In some cases the discount may not be initially applied due to the restriction of currency, country etc but will be applied later when customer changes its currency or country that matches to the catalog rule conditions. For example, if the rule is restricted to a specific country and the country of the customer’s delivery address different then the discounts will not visible in the catalog, but if the customer changes the address during the checkout process and the country of the new address matches with the condition of catalog price rule, then discount will be applied and visible.