An invoice is a document that records a transaction between the customer and PrestaShop seller. So a PrestaShop invoice specifies what the buyer has paid to has to pay (in case of credit) to seller according to the payment terms. In PrestaShop when a customers order product and payment is completed, an invoice is automatically generated for that order.
A customer can view and download the invoice in PDF format from their account page on PrestaShop frontend. Also invoice can be views and downloaded from account details page in PrestaShop admin panel. If an invoice is not yet been generated then you can even generate it from PrestaShop admin panel regardless of the order status.
PrestaShop has a dedicated section for managing Invoices from where you can download more than one invoices in single PDF based on certain criteria, also some options related to invoices, add payment to invoice etc. Invoices are related to orders in PrestaShop, to learn about managing orders visit out previous tutorial Managing Orders in PrestaShop.
Download and View the Invoice for a Single Order and Add Notes to the Invoice
Invoices can be viewed and downloaded from the order details page in PrestaShop admin. To do so, navigate to Orders->Orders in the PrestaShop admin panel and on the page that opens click on a particular order in the list of existing orders to view its order details. On the order details page click on the button View invoice to view and download the invoice.
When you will click on the button a window will popup from where you can view and download the invoice to your computer in PDF format.
On the same page there’s a section for documents that list all the documents related to the order like invoice, delivery slip, credit slip etc. To access the section click on the tab Documents next to the Status in the order details section. On the Documents tab you can view and download the invoices by clicking on the invoice number.
The invoice is generated in PrestaShop when an order is validated i.e order status is changed to Payment Accepted. After this the invoice can be views and downloaded by store employees in PrestaShop admin and by customer on PrestaShop frontend. This is the default configuration of PrestaShop and it depends on how the order status options are configured.
For example, you can configured the status Awaiting check payment to make the invoice accessible i.e whenever the order status is Awaiting check payment invoices can be viewed and download from PrestaShop admin and frontend.
It is possible to add a note to an order that can contain any information regarding the order. To do this, click on the Add note button in the invoice row, doing this a text button will appear where you can enter your custom notes. The notes entered will be added to the PDF invoice.
Enter any information you want to display on invoice in the text box and click on Save button to save the custom notes and add it to PDF invoice.
Generate an Invoice Manually and Add Payment Information
PrestaShop automatically generates invoice for an order after the status of the order is changed to Payment Accepted and makes it available to view and download in both admin panel and frontend. If the order status is before Payment Accepted like Awaiting bank wire payment invoice will not be generated.
But for any reason you have to generate and download the invoice without changing the payment status, then you can manually generate invoice in PrestaShop. To do so, navigate to navigate to Orders->Orders in the PrestaShop admin panel and on the page that opens click on a particular order in the list of existing orders to view its order details. On the order details page click on the Documents tab. If the invoice has not yet been generated, you will see the button Generate invoice.
Click on the button Generate invoice to generate the invoice manually. Doing this will generate the invoice and it will be listed on the documents section in the admin as well as accounts section on the frontend of PrestaShop. You can view and download the invoice by clicking the button View Invoice on the top or by clicking the invoice number on the Documents tab.
Since the invoice has been generated manually but payment is not yet validated i.e order status is not yet Payment Accepted. So the generated invoice will indicate the amount to be paid but payment method is not specified there. You can also specify the payment method of the order manually. This is helpful in offline payments like cash on delivery, check payment etc. To do so, click on the button Enter Payment on the Documents tab.
Clicking the button will navigate you to Payment section on same page, where you can enter the payment information. Enter the date, payment method, transaction id if any and amount and click on add button to add the payment.
Generate PDF with Many Invoices
You can even view and download more than one invoices in a single PDF from the invoices section of the PrestaShop admin panel. From there you can generate a PDF file containing many invoices. You can specify a date range between which all invoices will be combined and generated in single PDF file. You can also combine invoices based on order status.
To do so, navigate to Orders -> Invoices in the PrestaShop admin panel. The page will show some sections from which you can generate PDF of invoices based on different criteria. If you want, you can specify the date range to generate a PDF file of the invoices from the section By date.
Select the date in the field From and To, by selecting the date from the drop-down calendar and click on the button Generate PDF by date. A window will pop up using which you can download the PDF file in your computer. A generated file will contain all the invoices in the date range specified arranged according to date from oldest to newest.
You can also generate PDF of the invoices based on the status of the order. To do so, navigate to Orders -> Invoices in the PrestaShop admin panel and on the page go to the section By order status.
In the section all the order status are listed with check box with each order status to select them. Select one or more status by marking its check boxes and then click on the button Generate PDF by status. A window will pop up using which you can download the PDF file in your computer. A generated file will contain all the invoices of all the orders in selected order status.
Configure PrestaShop Invoice Options
On the same page below there are some invoice options that you can configure to affect all the invoices. To do so, navigate to Orders -> Invoices in the PrestaShop admin panel and on the page go to the section Invoice options.
The options to configure are as follows:
- Enable invoices -This options is to enable invoices in PrestaShop and is set to Yes by default. This means customer can view and download the invoices for their orders when the invoice is generated according to the status of their order. If you set this option to No, then customer will not be able to view and download their invoices. All the links for the invoices will be removed from PrestaShop frontend. A store employee can still generate and view invoices in PrestaShop admin and this options only disable the invoices features on PrestaShop frontend.
- Enable tax breakdown – This option enables that tax amount is shown on the invoices and tax rate applied for each product is also shown. This option is set to No by default. If there is more than one tax is applied to your order and you want to show them all to your customers, you can set this to Yes.
- Enable product image – This options enable the product images on invoices. It is set to No by default. Setting this option to Yes will add an Image in the front of the product name in the invoice.
- Invoice prefix – An invoice name consist of a prefix and invoice number. Using this field you can change the prefix used for the invoice name. For example, by default the prefix is #IN so the invoices will be #IN000001, #IN000002, etc. If you will change the invoice prefix, it will effect the name of the already issued invoices also. If you don’t want any prefix, just delete the invoice prefix option and keep it blank.
- Add current year to invoice number – This field is used to add the year invoice was created to the invoice number. By default this field is set to No. If you will set this Yes then current year will be added to invoice number either before of after the number depending on the field Position of the year date.
- Reset sequential invoice number at the beginning of the year – You can use this field to reset the invoice number at the beginning of each financial year.
- Position of the year date – You can select whether the current year added before or after the invoice number. Note the option Add current year to invoice number must be set to Yes for this option to work.
- Invoice number – Each invoice has a number like 000001, 000002 etc. This field defines the invoice number of the next invoice issued to the customer. By default it is set to 0, which means use default invoicing number i.e. if the current issued invoice number is 000023, then next invoice number will be 000024. But if you want to change this number, you can do it by entering a value in this field. For example, if you enter 223 in the field, then the next invoice number will be 000223 and then 000224 and so on.
- Legal free text– You can use this field to show additional information on the invoice, below the payment methods summary like terms and conditions, legal information etc.
- Footer text -you can use this field to display some extra text to the bottom of all the invoices. this text will be added to all the invoices including that are already issued to the customers. You can add additional notes and information to each invoices from Documents section on the order details page in PrestaShop admin. To learn more about this, check out our tutorial Managing Orders in PrestaShop.
- Invoice model – There are some invoice model available depending on the theme of your PrestaShop store. The invoice model determines the style and design of the invoice. You can modify the existing invoice model bu editing the template file responsible for it. This file is located in the pdf folder in the PrestaShop root installation directory.
- Use the disk as cache for PDF invoices – this options lets you choose whether you want server cache or disk cache to be used as caching for invoices. Disk caching will save memory but will slow down the generation of invoices.
So these were invoice options, if you have made any changes, don’t forget to save the changes by clicking Save button.
PrestaShop Invoices on Frontend
Customers can view and download the invoices of their orders from their accounts page on PrestaShop frontend. They can do so unless you have not disabled invoices from Enable Invoices option in the invoice options page in the PrestaShop admin panel.
To view and download invoices, customer logs in to their account page on PrestaShop frontend and navigate to accounts page by clicking their name on the top of page. On my accounts page customer needs to click Order History and Details button.
This will open a page with customer’s order history, where all the orders are listed there. The customer can view and download the invoice from the Invoice section by clicking on the PDF icon of a particular order to view and download the invoice
When the customer clicks on PDF icon, a window will pop up from where they can open or download the invoice in their computer.